It wasn't until late Friday night, that we finally had time to talk to our kids about the tragic events of the day. I was astonished that Luke especially had not heard anything about this, as he is on his ipod all day. I was thankful for other parents for sheilding my kids until I could talk to them.
As we sat down our two oldest children to talk about the tragedy at the elementary school in Connecticut, I we explained the difference between good and evil. We talked about how this was an evil act, and how our natural instincts make us want to be scared. Yet that is Satan's plan. He want's us to live in a constant state of fear. We contrasted that with the Lords plan. Hope. He wants us to always have hope. That is why he has given us the knowledge of the Plan of Salvation, and the knowledge that we are Forever families, if we choose to follow and accept his words.
Then Maggie said something that stuck with me. She said this made her really sad. "Mom, doesn't sadness make you feel love for others?"
Yes, it does make you feel Love. And I thought about how many people in America and around the world, were feeling love for others at this time. So many, many people for were feeling love. Satan and the shooter did not win, for love was and is in abundance at this time.
I also have thought about the timing of this event. Christmas. The season where everyone should be so happy and feel peace. Although that has been taken away, many voices and hearts are turning to God. Recognizing his existence. Recognizing his power. Whether we were already praying daily or not, humanity has been forced to turn to a higher power. Christmas is about God's son, and their is no better way to celebrate than to recognize his existence in our lives, and rely on him to help us/others through this difficult time.
I like everyone else have these families in my heart and my prayers. Heaven must be much brighter when all these wonderful children and heroes arrived. Unfortunately earth lost the light brought by these individuals. I know that one day we will know for a surety that we will see our loved ones again.