Sunday, April 29, 2012

This week

On Tuesday night, I was walking across the street to a neighbors, when I heard sirens a street away.
Luke was returning home from a 10 mile bike ride, and I wanted him out of the street in case the emergency trucks came down our street.
They didn't.
Steve then read a story on the news that night about what had happened.
Our hearts sunk.
We have had heavy hearts ever since.
You can read about the story here.


As you drive through our neighborhood, 
white ribbons are tied to all the trees in memory of the sweet child.

You can't help but tear up as you witness this site.

What an amazing neighborhood and community I live in.
People stepped up immediately to help.
This weekend the local Cross Fit gym in Daybreak held a fundraiser for the family.
What I love is that this business stepped in, right at the beginning.
They did not wait to see what the family needed, they just did what they knew would be best.

I love this quote from LDS Conference last month, it is so applicable:
If you come upon a person who is drowning, would you ask if they need help—or would it be better to just jump in and save them from the deepening waters? The offer, while well meaning and often given, “Let me know if I can help” is really no help at all.
Elder Ronald A. Rasband

****
On Friday afternoon, Peter decided to change his clothes for the day.

This kid cracks me up.  
A sweater and pajama pants.

I am so proud of this kid.  Him and his sister Maggie were getting picked on when walking home from school.
Last week Pete marched over (granted he had a group of friends with him) to the kids house,
and told the mom that her kids were bulling him and his sister.
And....
now its better.
I think....
They now follow Maggie home and constantly say,
"Hello beautiful!"

It bothers Maggie. 
I told her to ignore them.
"NO!" Steve said, "don't ignore them. 
 Tell them your name is Maggie, and that is what they are to call you."

A glimpse at the future?