Monday, August 10, 2009

The final countdown

2 weeks left until school starts for the kids. I will be darned if we spend it sitting around the house. Every year at this time I start to get a little antsy and sad. Summer is winding down, and I wonder if I have done enough for the kids this summer. Have we gone swimming enough (funny that I would even think that), have we had enough outings, reading books together and that sort of thing. Of course we have done enough, but just in case.....these next two weeks will be jam packed with fun!

Today we went hiking. I tried out a new hike called Rocky Mouth. It ends with a waterfall. Although it was a short distance, it was still quite steep and rocky, but the kids were troopers. Peter kept up with no problem. I personally found out that Rachel has gotten a lot heavier. I had her in the backpack, along with another bag with water and a camera. Lets just say my shoulders were very tired. Coming back down the trail with so much weight was a little tricky. I walked away with only a bee sting.


This is what Rachel did the whole time. Afraid of the waterfall.

Then this afternoon we headed out for a family bike ride. The kids favorite spot is the driving range at the high school. Oh that parking lot brings back memories. Memories of my driver ed teacher yelling at me, and banning me from driving. Ha, still got my licence. Although I think my parents had to call the teacher and talk him into it.

I have had hardly any alone time this summer. Someone is always talking, has a story that cannot wait, sitting on my lap, climbing on me, poking my eyes, waiting for me at the bathroom door. So many times I have told the kids, "take a number, I will be with you in a minute."
However, I have to admit, I will miss them when they return to school. I am nervous for them. I wish that I could be with them and protect them, which I feel like I can do in the summer. I am finding out that time passes to quickly. My kids are growing up and so am I (blah). I hope I can enjoy and create many simple memories with them.

No comments: