.....except you Megan.
Steve will usually call me at lunch time. The last couple days I have not heard from him. I knew he must be busy. Since his job correlates so much with the news, I thought I would check online to see if I could figure out what was keeping him on his toes. I found it alright. Right here if you are interested. Steve tends to cover up this sort of thing from me. I am known to hyperventilate and be leaning over the toilet when stressful things happen. He could not hide this.
While reading the story, my heart sunk, my stomach felt sick, and I fell to my knees. I pleaded with my Heavenly Father to watch over my sweet family. As a stay at home mom, I feel so helpless. What can I do to help pay the bills? Throw in four innocent children and the whole story changes.
I want to know if when the newly formed "Canyon School District" decided to split, they knew how much pain, stress, and financial burden they were about to create with this selfish decision. Did they know that the kids and teachers would now be on survival mode-not education mode?
I wonder if they laugh at what is taking place, the overcrowding of classrooms, loosing teachers, loss of programs, loss of salaries and livelihoods. I wonder if they even have a conscience. Ever second guess the mess that they created. My guess is NO, if actions could speak, they say that the West sider's are not as important as those on the East. These "high-ups" took the opportunity of the money grab, and are going straight to hell. The decision of making a new school district had nothing to do with education and the children. It had everything to do with money and selfish desires.
To those of you considered West siders, and live in the new Jordan School District. Shame on you. Shame on you for spending your time complaining online at Ksl.com. Where were you when something could have been done. Quit blaming the administrators (maybe you should blame Chris Butters-he is a real work of art). Get off your couch and do something about the problem. You say you had no vote at the time of the district split, well you had your voice, and have legislators that were elected to hear your voice, and stick up for it. You and your kids will now suffer because you did not stand up until it was too late. You did not want your taxes raised, so in turn, scared and forced your school board into making these budget cuts.
I live in a modest home in Salt Lake. My children are part of the SLC school district. Because of the tough times on the economy, an art program may be cut from our schools. It is called the Beverly Taylor Sorenson Arts Learning Program. Parents and teachers do not want to see this program cut. Beverly pays for half the program, the legislature matches the funds in order for it to work. A committee was formed and took their cause from school to school. Household to household. Emails have been sent out to help save this program. After school meetings and performances were planned. Legislators were written to, and pleaded with. Lobbyists are up at the capital. Weekly I receive an email, stating where the issue stands, with links for me to send a prewritten letter.
While I should mention, I love this program and my children are a beneficiaries of it, I do not want the legislature putting money towards it. It would be another example of East sider's getting what they want while other students basic needs and classroom sizes suffer. Fix the major problems and then add the extras. But, this is a great example of what taking a stance and putting some effort into something can do. We will probably receive the funding. What if the parents of Jordan School district did something similar to this?
I am scared for what the future holds for my family. While everything seems so uncertain in the world and in my life right now, the one certainty is prayer. While I pray I wonder if I am worthy to ask for what I do. I wonder if others will pray for me too, like I do for them? Then last night I received an email from a great neighbor of mine, telling me she was thinking of us and that we are in their families prayers. It was touching.
I know everything will work out, I just need to have more faith and a positive outlook. Like my husband. Did I just say that? That I need to be more like my husband? Well I guess in this instance I do.
7 comments:
Oh, Sarah, I'm so sorry. I will definitely be thinking about you and keeping you guys in my prayers.
Thanks for letting me be the exemption. I'm flattered.
I am so sorry, Sarah. We will be praying for you.
Hopefully everything works out for your family. What does Steve do for the district?
Abe was so stressed the first night he found out that they were firing 3-4 teachers per school. After talking to his principal he is safe (for now). But it is still a crappy situation.
I'm so glad we didn't buy a house in West Jordan.
Sarah,
I certainly hope things are okay for you, Steve and the kids. Has Steve heard anything about his position?
This whole thing makes me sick. It is ironic that we live in a state that proclaims to believe in education and our families, yet we allow things like this to go on.
Butters is an incompetent fool. I can't believe that the people living in the West Jordan area keep electing him. Instead of killing the twelth grade, we ought to oust him out of office for being such an ass.
Jason
Hi Sarah - This is Cathi's husband and teacher in Jordan District.
You hit the nail on the head in every point. I had tons of parents come up to me today and say, "We had no idea this was going to happen. What can we do?"
I wanted to say, "Where where you when all of those red necks showed up and threw a fit at the truth in taxation forum?" I wanted to ream them for being ignorant and lazy. But I was nice and told them to call their school board member to complain.
I am disgusted with the east side. I can't believe how ruthless they were about the whole thing. What a joke. The worst part of it for me is that I will not receive a raise for two years, going on three - while the teachers there continue to get their raises.
I could go on and on. But I won't. Thanks for letting me vent.
Thinking you Sarah! Hang in there and I will pray! I've been doing a lot of that lately! This is not good news for anyone!!!
Post a Comment