Friday, September 4, 2009

Paranoia

On Tuesday, President Obama is set to make a speech to school children. Who would have thought, this would cause such an uproar? What era are we living in? Are we afraid to listen to others point of views? Are we censoring what our children hear? It is an extremist viewpoint to say that you should not listen to opposing views.

I do not care what your political preference is...this is the President of the United States. President Obama will be speaking on the importance of education and staying in school. This is not a propaganda stunt, nor do I believe this has a political agenda attached. Even if he did, it is not as though the children are his core interest group when it comes to politics, hell they can not even vote for that matter. I listened to many speeches given by both Bushes, and what do you know---I am not a Republican. Listening to them did not "brain wash" me into believing an idea. Let's let kid think for themselves, now that is education.

Having your kids miss out on this, and causing such a fuss is disrespectful to the office of the President. It is disrespectful to the country we live in. Is our political system perfect? No, but is the best one out there, and we are blessed to live here. Why don't you teach your kids that?
Why don't you teach them that differing opinions is what make great and educated decisions.

I hope my children will be able to watch this speech. I hope that one day they will decide to further their education and especially in the arena of history and political science. That they will love their country enough to respect all political parties, all religions, and people--no matter color, sexual preference, or other differences. And that is my dream.....

Click here to see my new favorite song. My favorite line is ..."From a woman on a bus, to a man with a dream."

**I just emptied Lukes backpack. There it was. The permission note. I also found something else.....Now this is propaganda at its finest. Gotta love all you AFS employees.

5 comments:

Adam's Family said...

I don't have a problem with the President telling our children to work hard in school and to further their education. I think it's great that he's taking such an interest on that subject. However, I do have a problem with the accompanying" suggested lesson plans". Political agenda or not, It just sounds a little "Mein Kamf" to me. Obama wants his fingers in a lot of different pies and that is a little scary to me.
Sorry, that's my two cents. Love the pic of you and Rach BTW.
Stef

Adam's Family said...

Just because he is president does not mean I have to respect him. I don't agree with most of his ideas and I did not vote for him.
Adam

Unknown said...

The lesson plans are from the US Dept. of Education (who give the guidlines to the Utah State Office of Education) not from the President. It is healthy to open ourselves up to different viewpoints, afterall, isn't that what makes America great?

megan said...

So, in Canyons district they didn't send a permission slip, just a note saying that they supported the speech and they would be broadcasting it in the schools. If you have a problem, you could call the school and they'll make arrangements for your child. I was so happy and grateful, I called the district to say thank you for being logical and respectful about the whole situation. They asked me to send an email to the superintendent. He just sent me an email back saying thank you for giving some positive feedback (my impression is that they hadn't gotten much).
Really, seriously, kids are getting drunk and having sex in the parking lot and people are worried about a speech on personal responsibility from the President! I think everyone has gone nuts! It's also totally, TOTALLY, hypocritical coming from a population who called Bush protesters "crazy" and belittled them for not "respecting the office of the President." Honestly, this is all driving me to the looney bin...on second hand, maybe that's their goal. Oh, no!
(sorry for the rant)

Kerri said...

I haven't looked for the permission slip yet... I thought I was already mad enough already. Sigh.

I didn't respect Pres. Bush much as a president, but I did respect the office of president. I totally disagreed with the war in Iraq and many of his domestic policies. But I can guarantee I would have been absolutely fine with my children being talked to by our acting president, especially if he were encouraging them to get a good education. Oh well, you already know my opinion. I kind of went off on it, didn't I?