Wednesday, February 3, 2010

RIP naptime

Peter has given up his naps. I am tired.
Before giving up naps, I had 2 hours to myself. Two hours, to read, rest, shower, eat lunch, catch up on the news (does facebook count as news?), watch 10 min. of Days (that is enough to catch up for a weeks worth), and maybe close my eyes for a little bit.
Wake up call! None of these things transpire with a three year old who is wide awake and waiting to be entertained-mostly with board games.

I still try. Oh do I still try to give him his naps. Yesterday we made a deal. We even shook hands on the deal. I promised to play yet another board game with him, IF he took a nap. This little rascal is not to be trusted. Needless to say, he did not keep his end of the bargain.

I do admidt, Peter is a funny, funny kid. Here are some of my favorites as of late.

"Dad, will you play Disneyland with me?" (he means Candyland.)

"Rachel, I am sorry you don't have a penis like me."

"Rachel if you keep crying everyone is going to STEER at you."

"Rachel does not want to go to bed" How do you know, I asked, "Well, nobody ever wants to go to bed mom." I beg to differ.

And for 4 weeks, he has snuck out of the Primary room at church and decided he is going home!

The other night Steve made me a fire to read next to. We ended up talking. I told him it was hard being a mom. Why is it so hard for me? He told me what I needed and maybe wanted to hear. And later I read this quote that made me feel a little bit better.

"Clearly, those of us who have been entrusted with precious children have been given a sacred, noble stewardship, for we are the ones God has appointed to encircle today's children with love and the fire of faith and and understanding of who they are."
Russel M. Ballard


4 comments:

Diane said...

Pete sure has some funny lines! We sure love him and all of you, for that matter.

Lizzy said...

I'm am on the same boat! I still make Ben play in his room... for two hours. Is that horrible to admit? I need that break! And he needs that unwind time (or so I like to justify).

I've also been having those same "mom issues". I think a lot of it (for me at least) has to do with the weather. I'm hoping that once the sun starts shining, my mood will pick up. I hate winter!

Christina said...

Ugh. I feel your pain. Ezra has been giving up his naps, too. Loved this post and the darling picture of Peter. Don't kids say the darndest things?

Kerri said...

Dude, he is so so cute. And so so funny. And Ben's giving up his nap, too, and I'm very sad.