Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Luke is on the swim team!

"Welcome to swim team. We start on time, we end on time. Swimmers are to be here at 4:15, now lets get started!"
That is what we heard as we arrived to our first day of swim team, and I was thinking we were early.

They did not mess around at all. The kids were put to work immediately. The main coach asked an assistant coach for a warm up. She said "400 touch and pulls". That is 16 laps for you non swimmers. I started to freak out, thinking this was for all levels. As I started to walk over to voice my opinion, another coach started laughing and said "We want these kids to come back." And with that the warm up was changed to something much more doable for the first day of workout.
Luke did so well. He swam laps for an hour straight, and looked strong. I think he is going to do great!
I must say that I was in heaven watching him swim. I loved the atmosphere and quickly remembered why swimming is my true love.
Prior to this workout I was nervous for Luke. I now know he will be fine. It is me I am worried about now. It looks like a lot of swim moms from hell. I was ignored, and approached equally. When talked to, it was to ask if I would chair a committee! We will see...

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Luke looks great! I'm so glad he had a good experience!

And...Sigh. I miss the club. I thought we might put Josh and Soph on the team this year. Oh well....

Katie said...

Oh the memories. I get nostalgic every time I smell chlorine. I hope Luke loves it as much as we did!

Diane said...

I think that Luke looks like he will have a great time. I'm sure he has it in his genes! I still remember being a swim mom. It was actually fun.