Wednesday, October 13, 2010

School and kids

Let me start off, with the story of this morning.

Mornings are a rush of craziness. For some odd reason, Luke thinks he needs to leave for school over a half hour early. He is at my side, reminding me to make him breakfast, make his lunch, sign his papers, so he can ride his bike and play with friends before school. I get him out of my hair, and it is on to Maggie.

Maggie knows that if she picks out her own outfit, I will usually make her change (she gets her matching clothes ability from her dad). Thus, I need to pick out an outfit for her, make her a separate breakfast, because she is uber-picky. Then I tell her to get in the car. "Why? Where are we going?" She says this morning. You have got to be kidding me?

***
This week is Parent Teacher Conferences. Maggie's was yesterday. Towards the end the teacher started asking Maggie about friends and who she played with at recess. I noticed a change in Maggie and it was obvious she was avoiding eye contact with her teacher. Mrs. Gilmore thought she was embarrassed since we were talking about her. I knew better, and later asked her what was going on.

Maggie explained to me that you are not suppose to have any clubs at school. But at recess they have a Pokemon trading club. They meet in a certain corner of a playground between two trees. Maggie thought the teacher knew about this club, and that was why she was asking all the questions. In reality the teacher seemed clueless to the club.

You have to give it to the kids. They have the routine down. When a teacher comes near, they quickly say, "Cards in pockets, cards in pockets." Then talk to the teacher like nothing is wrong, and watch for the all clear. "All clear!"

****
Peter's preschool learns a Bible story each day. Last week it was Noah's Ark. He came home and told me that Noah took "2 of every animal and some he took 7." Huh? I did not know that. But apparently Grandpa Dunham did.

A day or two later we were walking into the new Target It was pouring rain. Peter (who talks very loudly) throws his hands up and says, "people need to repent. The rain is not going to stop if people don't repent. We will have no grass or sidewalks to walk on!"

Poor kid, missed the point of the story. The rainbow.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

I love your insights. This is so cute. I have been reading over your blog and you seem to be doing great. Love the fall pics and the cute stories you are one fun mom!