Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Love Letter on Mother's Day

As men, we've got it pretty good. We don't have to give birth. Most of us get to leave home five days a week for eight hours in the day and have adult conversations. Yes we still work, but let's face it, chasing four kids around the house, trying to clean up the destruction they leave behind is enough to send most of us screaming into the night with a butcher knife.

Being a mom is an infinately important and sacred responsibility; for if it were not for moms, I might have to put up with screaming, whining and fighting kids essentially all day. Five minutes of "Peter hit me," or "Rachel turned off the TV," or "Maggie is in my room," makes my eyeballs bleed. So for me, a great mother like my dear Sarah is a precious gift indeed.

I, for one, count myself very lucky to have a great woman by my side. Because of Sarah, I have a loving, sensitive ten-year old boy who strives to be a helper at all times. I have a silly, mostly innocent, teasing seven-year old girl who constantly tells me she loves me. I have a dear, sweet, precious Peter who loves to give hugs and cuddles; and who has some of the funniest expressions and sayings of any pre-kindergarten child. And I have a gorgeous, blond-haired, blue-eyed, three-year-old cutie who has quickly learned how to melt her daddy's heart with a simple look and smile.

I have all of this because of Sarah. Her balanced patience. Her loving warmth. Her compassion and care. She gives it all so freely and it helps these sweet little kids grow and develop into wonderful people. I give all the credit to my Sarah and I hope she knows just how important she is and how much she is truely LOVED by each member of this family. Without her I would be a rudderless ship, aimlessly traversing rough and stormy seas.

Our house is a home because of Sarah and I hope as the years pass, the fruits of her hard work are as visible to her as they already are to me.

My dearest Sarah,

I Love You!

Steve


No comments: