Friday, January 29, 2010

Lace them up

Like it or not, today I officially have orthotics in my shoes. I don't like it.

Maybe it is because they cost so much ($350), maybe it is because I associate them with old men, maybe I am angry that I had to go back to the office twice in one day to fix a problem, maybe I don't like the doctor I paid so much money to.

What can I do? Unless I never want to run again in my life, these things will be in tow.

Looking back I can not believe I let the problem of my plantar fascitis get so out of control. I wanted to run that half marathon so badly, and my training runs were coming in at seven and a half minute miles. The only goal I could foresee was that of a PR in the race. Today I am paying for it, literally and figuratively. After taking 12 weeks off from running, you don't really get that "runners high" trying to get back into the swing of things.

So here is the plastic I received today. After a couple weeks of wearing them, they will be reinforced so that my foot can only move one direction-forward.

The process of getting fitted for orthotics was interesting. It honestly felt so good to have my injured foot wrapped in hot gauze. I could feel my injury starting to inflame, but the temperature was soothing. They have you keep these heavy molds for 10 years, incase you need something fixed. Hmm, something else useless to find a home for in this tiny home.

This highly recommended doctor, who happens to be the foot doctor of the Utah Jazz, will not get a recomendation from me. I guess if I was Derron Williams, I might be important enough to be treated like I was actually sitting in the same room.

After wearing them for a mere hour or so, I had a sharp pain in the ball of my foot. I knew immediatly this was not going to work until my next appointment in two weeks. When I went back to his office, he told me, "It takes longer than a half day to know if these work. It takes getting used to." Thank you Doctor, but I think I know my body better than anyone, including you. Thanks to your "getting me out the door quickly" tactics, my foot still hurts.

Tomorrow I will take them on a test run. Wish me luck, I have now joined the ranks of crippled old men and fat people everywhere. I don't fall into either category. So I'll add a third category: idiot runners. Yeah, I fall into that.

3 comments:

Natalie Bernhisel-Robinson said...

Your doc sounds like a dbag. Sorry that he didn't give you the tlc you deserve! Good luck running!!! I seriously need to do some exercising......

Molly said...

Hey hey hey, hold on just minute.... I think you would VERY be surprised to know that WAY more people have orthodics than you think.. such as yours truly. Yes, I guess I did feel like a dork at first, but now... I know that my ankle does not flare up with them so... I "like" 'em. I really ONLY wear them when i am running though... they just stay in my running shoes.

That reminds me.... where the heck are those molds???

Man.... we do need to talk about the Dr. though... I am pretty sure it is the same Doc I went to... I waited forever and felt condescended and like a hypochondriac when I left. NOT a fan.

Kerri said...

SEVEN and a HALF MINUTE MILES????? Girl, you're wild. Amazing. And I will make sure not to go to that doctor if I ever need one. Hopefully I'll never need one. But I wear orthotics...just over the counter ones. They totally and absolutely get my seal of approval.