Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day

This past week was parent teacher conferences at the kids school. It is a tradition to let the kids pick out a book to buy after we meet with their teachers. Luke picked out this book, and I was proud of my sons choice.

The book is not just about Obama, but about the Presidency as a whole. It has some very cool facts.

As Luke picks up this book to read, it is evident that he sees Obama as merely President of the USA. He thinks nothing of his color. As adults we will always view Barack Obama as the first African American President.

While I am sure we have a long ways to go in the arena of equality, I believe each generation will bring about huge gains. Luke exemplifies Martin Luther Kings dream..."I have a dream, that my four children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."

Brad Paisely performed this song at the White House for the President. He talked about how the President inspired him to write this song. Now that is cool!

I have used this video before, but I love it. What he sings is so true, not to mention he plays a mean guitar.

No comments: