Thursday, March 25, 2010

Poor Guy

We noticed a blister on Peter's hand last night. Looked like a burn. We questioned him over and over, and reviewed our day and how this could have happened. We could not figure it out and all went to bed and forgot about it.

Today I took Peter to school and then shopping, he was sad and said his hand hurt. Not till we got home did I think to look at it. It had more than tripled in size.

My friend who works at PCMC stopped by and looked, and suggested I go into the doctors. So glad that I did. Turns out this dude had a staph infection. If I had let it go it would continue to grow and spread into his tissues and joints.

Peter was so brave. But shook his index finger in the doctors face and told him, "Don't you hurt my finger!"

With green gloves on, the nurse and doctor poked it open, and puss sprayed and dripped everywhere. Then they cut out all the extra skin and bandaged it up. Peter watched the whole transaction, like he was a surgeon in training. Then looked up at me with tears dripping down his face, and told me "I don't want to die, I am afraid to die." Oh, my sweet child.
You like how it is his middle finger?

I have been to the doctors office twice this week and we now have two kids on antibiotics. Maggie's prescription was only $14 dollars (for strep throat). Peters was $5o and needs to take it three times a day. Heavy duty stuff. Rachel throws herself on the floor in hysterics because she wants medicine like everyone else.

3 comments:

Kerri said...

Sarah, that's so scary! I'm so glad you caught it.

Diane said...

Poor Pete. He is so brave.

Natalie Bernhisel-Robinson said...

Wow, that is quite the blister. Yikers. Didn't you want to squeeze it?