My son Peter played the donkey in his preschool nativity program. I have to admit, I was really disappointed with his character, I mean, my son was the ass.
After watching the performance, Peter arguably had one of the most important parts. I believe the animals surrounding Christ, during his birth, symbolize what an important night this was.
No human was worthy (beside Joseph and Mary) to be in attendance and witness the birth. The inn would not have been appropriate place for our Savior to be born. With crowds of people and so forth. But the animals, were pure and innocent.
Here is the video of Peter's important role. Without the donkey, Mary would have been a tired woman.
Speaking of the animals, I love this:
"In the fields Bethleham, not far from Jerusalem and the Temple of Jehovah, there were shepherds watching their flocks by night. These were not ordinary shepherds nor ordinary flocks. The sheep there being herded-nay, not herded, but watched over, cared for with love and devotion--were destined for sacrifice on the great alter in the Lord's House,.......And the Shepherd's--for whom the veil was then rent" surely were in a spiritual stature, who came to know, by revelation, that the Lord's Christ was now on earth."
Bruce R. McConkie
I also love this. Very creative if you are familiar with facebook.
And who isn't?
Merry Christmas all. I am so thankful for my Savior, and his life.