Monday, September 20, 2010

Counting down the minutes until bed

TGI "Night time"! We are SO tired. Steve and I were on survival mode tonight. Focused only on getting kids in bed so that we in turn can go to bed.

With the Herriman fire being in the Jordan School District, Steve was getting non stop phone calls and working through the night. Since we live in a small house and I am a light sleeper I was up the same amount. We even had a kid get up with a tummy ache. I later heard him puking in the bathroom, but was too tired to get up and help. That should win me a mother of the year award.

At 4:30 am, Steve rolled over and told me, "Your alarm is going to go off in a half hour." Might as well just get up then. Right?

This evening Steve was counting. One child in bed. Check. Must stay focused. Two children in bed. Check. We were on a roll. But look at our older kids.


Now who in their right minds would interrupt such a beautiful sight. I love the fact that my kids find joy in reading. But I, as a mother find joy in not only watching them read, but reading next to each other, taking turns shoving their hands in the goldfish sack, and stuffing the crackers into their mouths.

Tonight I am grateful that my husband I will get to bed early. (The jurry is still out on if Steve will actually retire early) I am grateful for the fact that no one was injured in this fire, that most people can return to their homes. I am grateful that I have a home. A home where my kids feel safe, loved, and peace. I am grateful.