Thursday, January 20, 2011

Touched


A week or so, ago, we heard some sad news. Peters amazing preschool teacher, shared the news with us that her husband has stage 4 cancer. They had just found out as well. He had not been feeling well for a couple months. Then he got really depressed. She took him into the doctor and insisted it was more than depression. They did a scan of his abdomen and found the cancer. It is so widely spread they do not know the origin, so they don't exactly know where to target the chemo treatments.

This news hit hard. I worked with her husband, Gary, years ago. When we first moved into the neighborhood, I was given a Stake calling and served with him. His presence was powerful. He was a natural leader, but lead in a way that came across as an equal and a friend. He laughed a lot.

When I heard (last spring) his wife would be doing a preschool I jumped on the opportunity. I lost deposits at two other preschools because I felt so impressed that Peter needed to be with Grandma Raynee. My son spends nine hours a week with her, in her home. It is a very special experience for Peter and I.

They are such an inspiration to everyone. I just came from a meeting at her house where all the moms, and one dad, were teary eyed. She wants to keep her 4 year old class because they bring her such happiness and a sweet spirit into her home. How Christ-like is that?
In a recent email to the parents, the following was said: "Also know that Gary and I are at peace with all of this. We joke, we laugh, we smile and we hold hands. Life is very good to us and we are still going for that miracle!"

This is a couple with great perspective on life. They know they have lived their life to the best of their ability and are not afraid of what the future brings.

Grandma Raynee swimming with Peter!
She has a swimming pool in her backyard,
and has swimming parties for the kids.

I am thankful to the Bengtzen family, showing us that hope and faith can bring comfort. I am thankful for the knowledge of eternal families. I know that if we live righteously we can live with our family again, after death, in heaven.

Our families are the greatest sources of joy and hapiness in this life. Our Heavenly Father knows this, and has given us the gift to live with them forever if we choose to follow. The gospel of Jesus Christ brings great comfort to our lives.

Please keep this sweet family in your prayers.