Sunday, January 23, 2011

why?

This morning I went running with some wonderful friends, Zach and Tricia. We were doing a long and hard uphill run today. When we got to the top of the uphill we marveled at what a beautiful world we live in. We talked about the colors in the sky and the mountains surrounding us.

That beautiful world would disappear a couple miles later. We had just come off a trail and back onto the city streets where we noticed random police cars. Odd, seeing as it was barely 7:30 am. Then we saw them--picketers. Not just any picketers, they were full of hate. They were all holding multiple signs that were offensive. All in front of a Jewish synagogue.

We ran right next to them. They were chanting and singing. Signs about gays and Jews flashed in our faces. Our friend Zach is gay, and Tricia and I stood on each side of him, and told him not to look.

My heart was breaking. I came home and was teary eyed as I told Steve. I saw first handed what this did to my friend. He told us he was glad we were with him. I was proud to stand next to him.

Last night Steve and I went to see the movie, The Kings Speech. I love, love loved it. Great film. There was a scene in the movie where it showed video footage of Hitler, speaking his nonsense, to his many, many foolish followers. After the movie, Steve and I both talked about the feelings we had when we watched Hitler. To me, Hitler represents hate. That is the exact feeling I felt today after witnessing these people that were quite possibly lacking a brain.

I keep looking out my window at the beautiful blue skies that we have not seen for some time. It is a beautiful day, despite the fact that many are trying to muck it all up.

If I do one thing right as a mother, I hope it will be that my kids will learn respect, love, tolerance, and non judgmental of people that are different than them. That is what makes the world beautiful. How boring would this world be if we were all cookie cutters?