Saturday, June 27, 2009

Middle of the night

Thursday night. 2:00 a.m. Steve and I sat up in bed after hearing a crack and a extra large crash. Our window happened to be open so we got the surround-sound effect. A huge branch from a tree across the street had broken off and fallen to the street.


So at 2 in the morning I could be found in the middle of our street taking pictures, not wearing a whole heck of a lot. Nice of my husband to send the wife.

Two weeks earlier the tree had been struck by lightning. We heard and saw the flash. It lit up our house red, sending bark across the street and into our yard.

Sad thing is, I think this tree is going to fall apart-one piece at a time. That is what makes our neighborhood so great are these big mature trees. I will truly miss this tree.

BUT, our night was not over.

3 a.m. We hear lots of talking and cars . I look out the window. The police had arrived. Steve tells me to talk to them and tell them what happened. Once again, thank you Steve. How do you address a police man anyhow? Mr. Police, pork chop, gentleman, sir.....???? Anyway I continued to talk to him like I had important facts. His response: "Can I use your hose?"

4 a.m. The power company shows up. Complete with the "back up beep, beep."
At this point why did they just not call Asplundah and chop up the tree in the middle of the night as well?

7 a.m. Kids wake up and act like they just had M & M's and Diet Coke for breakfast. Me--I was tired and grumpy!

2 comments:

Molly said...

ha ha, sounds like quite the eventful night.

sad for that huge tree:(

m&m's and diet coke.... you are so funny. we should hang out more.

Kerri said...

I'm always sad when a tree dies. And those trees on your street are gorgeous. Sad. BTW, the pics of your kids on your sidebar are also gorgeous.