“When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home and of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.”
E. T. Sullivan
Oh, Peter, my big old Teddy Bear!
Peter was my biggest baby, with the biggest head. He is an August baby. So during my pregnancy we would go swimming a lot. Our favorite spot at the time was Raging Waters. That is where I got stuck in an innertube in the lazy river. I could not pull myself out. I tried to go up, tried to go down--I was just plain stuck, plain embarrassed, and ready for him to be delivered.
On the way to the hospital for my scheduled C-section, I made Steve stop and get me some breakfast. Apparently that is a no-no. After telling lies to many different people, when asked if I had eaten anything, I finally fessed up. What good it did.......delayed my C-section to the end of the day! So I layed in the bed watching CNN. The main and only story was the fighting in the middle east...Gaza strip. What a scary time to bring a child into the world I thought. But when Peter was born he brought a great sweet spirit with him. I knew this was a great time to bring a child into the world!
I suffered major hormone issues those first days in the hospital. I cried a lot. Every time I cried the sleeping baby in my arms would open his eyes and just look at me. I knew at that moment I had a special child.
Peter was my first baby who liked to cuddle. I loved this. To this day when I hold him, he gently strokes my face with his hand. Every day he asks me "Are you happy mom?" Some days I am not, and I tell him that. He does not like that answer, and will ask me that question over and over, turning into a drill sargent by the end until I answer "Yes, Peter I am happy!"
I love playing with Peter. He is so funny. Yesterday he told me to "quit stressing me out!" Life could never be described as boring with Pete.
He is the daredevil. Jumping off a high dive when he had just barely turned two! He is always trying to keep up with his older siblings, he adores them. Even last night, around 2 am, he climbed into bed with Luke (until he was pushed out.) He loves his little sister and watches over her with love and care as well.
But most of all, the thing I love about Peter is that he brought Rachel here to our family! How is that posible? Here is why.....
After three horrible pregnancies (I was sicker than sick) I knew my body could not handle one more. We were done! When I held Peter for the first time, I knew their was another baby waiting to come. I believe his spirit, fresh from heaven wispered it to my heart.
Little did I know, she was to come so soon.
2 comments:
I was going to wait until the end of the week to comment on all of your motherhood posts...but I can't. I love this little story about Pete bringing Rachel to your family. Honestly, I got a little teary. So lovely.
We love Peter. I especially enjoyed yesterday when he patted me on the head. When I said to him that I was not a dog, he held out his arms for a big hug!
Post a Comment