Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Library adventures

Tonight I took Luke and his friend, Alexis, to the downtown library. They were registered for a CSI:Murder at the Library. It was a murder mystery, the kids had to find out who committed the crime by comparing fingerprints, and finding facts about the crime scene. They had a blast.

Luke and friend--nope not Alexis.

While checking in, a child caught my attention. He was the typical latch-key kid, who had nowhere else to be. He wanted to be in the class but was not registered. He went on his merry way, and we would pass each other every now and then during my time there. At one point he was walking around the library with only one shoe. How did I not notice that the first time? I asked him where his shoe was. I thought maybe he misplaced it and might need help finding it. He mumbled nonsense and walked away. I followed. I was now on my own CSI investigation at the library.

The child walked up to the librarian desk and handed her a pair of ear phones. The librarian walked away and came back with his matching shoe. I laughed. Then thought to myself--that is horrible. Typical case of racial profiling. I have never seen a white kid walk around without a shoe.


I had to know. So I made small talk with the librarian and then popped the question about the shoe. No that was not standard procedure....only when they are not accompanied by an adult.

This is sad on so many levels.

So grateful and proud to be a stay at home mom! On questionnaires I am no longer going to write self employed, in the employment section. I will proudly state that I am a mom.

Debatable what my kids think of that.

2 comments:

Molly said...

how sad is that!?!

your hair looks great.

Dustin said...

I always say homemaker because you know we do oh, so much more than just be moms.
Love the new banner. Everyone looks great!