Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day


The best part of Memorial Day is that my husband had the day off!  We were able to spend time together as a family celebrating this patriotic day.  This morning we headed up to Fort Douglas for a service.  The kids were fascinated with the abundance of military servicemen, the 21 gun solute and the bagpipes.   It was a great way to start off the day.



On Saturday I took the kids to visit my grandparents graves.  I think they were confused.  After hearing the conversation, you will see why.
While reading my grandma Pete's headstone....
Maggie asked "So can we open it up to see all of her sins?"  
Mom: "What?" I wanted to hear more about why she asked this.
Maggie: "You know, her sins are inside.  I learned about it at church."
 I was speechless, we obviously do not teach this in our church.
Maggie: "I think I am confused."
So we continued to talk about how her spirit leaves and returns to heaven while her physical body stays on earth.   I thought they were comprehending this.  Until Luke asked, "So can we open it up and see her?"   "No we can not" I replied.  "Then why is that lady over there digging one up?"  I turned to look.  She was only weeding around the stone.  My poor kids.    What do you expect when they have a mom who at their age was afraid to walk on top of graves.  

Happy Memorial Day.  

I am proud to be an American.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Cute pictures. It looks like it was a fun day. I can't wait until schools out.

Luke said...

My favorite part was when they fired the blanks.

Marti said...

That picture of Maggie with the flag is so cute! Great activity for Memorial Day.

Adam's Family said...

I once saw someone digging up a grave.